The man killed in the latest fatal Australian shark attack was a 41-year-old Japanese man, police have confirmed.
The as yet unnamed victim was pulled from the water near Ballina on the New South Wales Coast by fellow surfers on Monday but died soon after from massive blood loss, despite efforts to save him.
According to police, the man was surfing with a group when the attack occurred.
“We believe he was surfing with up to four men, two were very close to him, they rendered assistance and brought him to shore,” Detective Inspector Cameron Lindsay told reporters.
“Two other surfers paddled in to help out and help with the injuries.
“Unfortunately they could not stop the bleeding and at this stage we believe he died of blood loss.
“He had leg injuries and they were substantial, they were injuries that led to a significant loss of blood.”
Police are consulting with experts about what action, if any, to take on locating and perhaps dealing with the shark.
“We are now concentrating on searching the area and seeing if we can locate that shark. We believe it was a very large shark,” Inspector Lindsay said.
“The expert will assist us to determine what type of shark it was.
“Once we know what type of shark it is and receive advice on whether or not that shark poses a threat to humans, then we’ll assess what we’ll do about the shark.”
It is understood the Japanese expat had been living in the Ballina area for about 12 months and, according to Ballina Mayor David Wright, was well known in the local surfing community. Mr Wright suggested action should be taken against the shark.
“Some surfers were out on their boards … and during that time a shark has come up behind a board paddler who was just sitting on his board and it’s taken the back of the board and part of the gentleman,” Mr Wright said, according to the ABC.
“His mates quickly pulled him in and they tried to do resuscitation but he died. They tried everything they could but he was deceased.
“It’s a terrible tragedy. He’s a local man of Japanese origin. It hurts.
“Everyone in town is just dumbfounded.
“This shark is just cruising around. I’m a supporter of sharks but something has to be done about this one.”
The tragedy comes just weeks after a fatal shark attack in Queensland and beaches in Newcastle being closed for over a week due to sightings of large sharks.
IMAGE: A shark warning sign is seen on the beach in the New South Wales city of Newcastle on January 17, 2015. (Photo credit should read PETER PARKS/AFP/Getty Images)