An Australian whose twin brother was killed in the earth shattering terror attack on New York City on 11 September 2001 still greives 15 years on.
Stuart Knox, 44-years-old, is in New York for the annniversary this Sunday. His brother Andrew was in the north tower when it was struck by the first of two planes to hit the iconic twin towers of the World Trade Centre. The attack that ultimately killed 2,996 people, including Andrew.
In 2013 Stuart set up a Facebook memorial page for his twin brother who’s life had been cut so tragically short before the ubiquitous social media site even exisited.
“So many days I’ve needed to hear your voice,” Stuart wrote in his first post to the page 3-years ago.
“My heart still aches 12 years later, the twin bond we have is different now, I don’t feel it in the same way, just in my head.
“Part of me died that day too, you know that because part of me is with you now. These days don’t get easier, I truly thought they would. I’m glad they don’t.”
For the 2016 anniversary of 9/11, Stuart is in New York City. Stuart told 9News that he is glad the event isn’t talked about as much back home in Australia as it is in the US.
“I guess that Bali for Australians was a lot more a wake-up call to what can happen in the world,” he said.
For Stuart though, it’s all about what happened to his brother on that fateful day at what became known as Ground Zero.
Leading up to Sunday’s anniversary, he spent time at the repository of the victims’ remains near the site, 9News reported.
“The repository is somewhere where I feel the absolute closest to Andrew. So I spent time doing some writing just to Andrew today,” he said.
There are said to be 10 Australian families who lost a sibling, parent or grandparent in the 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks.