Over recent years, men have become increasingly aware of their physical appearance. The male beauty market is thriving, and male beauty products have surged in popularity all around the world.
It would seem though that the physical attributes of the ‘ideal man’ are dependent on both the mass media and the country a man finds himself in.YouTube.com/BuzzFeedVideo
In a response to this, BuzzFeed did some research to determine how media and popular culture have shaped our views on the ‘ideal male specimen’ and how this changes from country to country.
The news media company researched 12 countries: the US, Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, Nigeria, Turkey, Italy, the UK, India, South Korea, the Philippines, and Australia. They then sourced an international cast of male models to showcase the differing ideal physical attributes for each country.
Here’s what they found out about Australia:
- Hugh Jackman, Ryan Kwanten, and the Hemsworth brothers are considered Australia’s ‘hottest’ male celebrities.
- The brothers were voted the hottest male celebs from viewers around the world in BuzzFeed’s Facebook poll.
- Most Aussie men who want to look different to how they currently look, wish to be bigger, more muscular, and thinner, according to various studies.
- The average adult Australian man was about 5’9”/175cms tall and 189lb/86kgs in weight, according to statistics from 2011-2012.
- The six most popular types of plastic surgery for Aussie males include nose jobs, eyelid lifts, penile enlargements, ear corrections, face-lifts, and liposuction.
- In 2013 Aussie men were voted sexiest in the world in a survey from travel dating website MissTravel.com.
In conducting this study and creating this video, BuzzFeed hoped to “spark a more open and important dialogue regarding men’s relationships with their bodies, ethnicity, masculinity, and personal expression of beauty”.
Whether you agree with BuzzFeed or not, take a look at the full video to see how the ‘ideal Aussie man’ compares to other countries.