The Employer-sponsored visa category provides the opportunity for Australian and overseas employers to sponsor and employ skilled and suitably qualified foreigners who have skills and/or experience in particular occupations which are required in Australia.
This newly-renamed visa (formerly the Long Stay – Standard Business Sponsorship visa) is for skilled foreigners who have been sponsored and hence nominated by a business to work in Australia on a temporary basis for up to 4 years.
There is no upper age limit for this visa and your family may accompany you. A business can sponsor you if they cannot find an appropriately-skilled Australian citizen or permanent resident to fill a skilled position listed in the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List.
To be eligible to apply for this visa:
- You must be sponsored by an approved employer to fill a nominated skilled position
- You must work in a skilled occupation that has been approved by the Australian Government
- You must demonstrate that you have the skills, qualifications and experience necessary to perform the nominated occupation
- You must be eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position
- You must demonstrate your English language ability
- You must have adequate health insurance for yourself and any dependants
Employers are expected to meet the following requirements (for businesses based in Australia):
- They must apply to be a standard business sponsor
- They must be a lawfully operating business
- They must demonstrate a record of employing local labour and non-discriminatory work practices
- They must meet the Australian government’s training requirements
- They must pay the market salary rate for the position
There are three stages to progressing an application for this visa, namely:
1) the employer applying to be a sponsor,
2) the employer nominating a position, and
3) the employee applying for the visa.
Applications for each of these three stages can be submitted simultaneously.
Other Australian visa types:
Australian Skilled Migration Visas
Australian Business Visas
Australian Employer-sponsored Visas
Australian Investor Retirement Visa
Australian Student Visas
Australian Family and Spouse Visa
Australian Resident Return Visa
Australian Working Holiday Visa
Australian Travel Visa