AT Maze Grill we roast our lemon sole in the charcoal fired oven. The Josper oven crisps the skin ever so slightly while giving the delicate flesh a hint of open fire smokiness.
This simple technique is perfect when cooking in our ovens at home. Lemon sole is one of the UK’s top fish. Closely related to turbot and plaice, they are packed full of sweetness and flavour.
One medium fish is large enough for two. Ask the fishmonger to give the fish a quick clean and remove the innards and fins.
When I prepare this dish I serve the fish in a roasting tray at the table. This way all the juices are soaked back into the fish. I always serve it with large chunks of fresh bread, perfect for soaking up the lemony roasting juices left behind in the tray. Tender steamed broccoli dressed with olive oil, and a few slices of mild red chillies are perfect accompaniment to a simple meal.
Tasty roasted whole lemon sole
Ingredients for 4 people
2 medium lemon soles, clean and washed
1 small lemon thinly sliced
1 bottle of good quality olive oil
2 stalks of fresh oregano
1 stalk of fresh basil leaves
Fresh ground black pepper
200g tender stem broccoli
1 medium heat red chilli
100g toasted flaked almonds
- Set the oven to 190 degrees Celsius
- Fill a saucepan large enough to blanch the broccoli with water. Add salt and bring to a boil.
- Take a roasting tray for the fish and line with tin foil to create an envelope shape.
- Place the fish in the tray. Using a sharp knife gently score lines on the dark skin side of the sole.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil over the fish. Season with black pepper and sea salt and gently massage the flesh working the seasoning into the score marks.
- Sprinkle the herbs over and under the fish and lay slices of lemon on top of each fish.
- Take the edges of the foil and fold to enclose the fish and seal tightly.
- Place the fish in the oven and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- Next prepare the tender stem broccoli by trimming any tufts or woody ends of the stalks. Finely slice the chillies and set aside.
- When the timer on the oven has 5 minutes left add the broccoli to the rapidly boiling water. After 5 minutes check the stems with a knife and when the broccoli is tender remove from the water onto a large serving platter.
- Season with salt and fresh black pepper, sprinkle the chillies, almonds and a good helping of olive oil to finish.
- Remove the fish from the oven and unwrap the foil being careful not to loose the juices.
- The fish is cooked when the flesh can be flaked away from the bone with ease. If not place back in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with thick wedges of bread and wine. Enjoy!