Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which opens around the world this week, was a sure thing to top the YouTube charts for most watched clip of 2015, right? Not if Peppa Pig has anything to view about it, when it comes to the galaxy downunder.
The plucky little porker’s ‘9 Episode Compilation2!’ clip as #1 in Australia may come as a shock to most, but not apparently to YouTube.
“Given the interest in the recent launch of the YouTube Kids app in Australia, it’s no surprise to see that a video from Peppa Pig took out the top spot this year,” the company said in a statement.
Neither of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens teasers and trailers even beat Jimmy Kimmel’s lip-sinc battle with Will Farrell, languishing in the bronze medal position with Australian users. Oh the shame.
Get the full Aussie top 10 YouTube clips list for 2015, below.
The most viewed clip in the UK for 2015 is Britain’s Got Talent’s ‘Golden boy Calum Scott hits the right note | Audition Week 1’
The most watched YouTube clip globally this year is of a 4-year-old doing the Nae Nae. ‘Silento- Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae) #WatchMeDanceOn’ boasts almost 120 million views this year, and counting.
Which means she only has about 2.2 billion views to go to catch up with still the most watched YouTube video of all time, Psy’s ‘Gangnam Style, clocking in at a screen boggling 2.4 billion+ views since 2012.
Australian YouTube most watched videos of 2015
1. Peppa Pig – 9 Episode Compilation 2!
2. Lip Sync Battle with Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart and Jimmy Fallon
3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens Official Teaser #2
4. Justin Bieber Carpool Karaoke by TheLateLateShow
5. Mean Tweets – Music Edition #2
6. Star Wars: The Force Awakens Official Trailer
7. The Dangers Of Social Media (Child Predator Social Experiment) Girl Edition
8. Wheel of Musical Impressions with Christina Aguilera
9. Fast & Furious Nerd Shocks Instructors
10. Crazy Plastic Ball PRANK!!