Australians have been widely known as the nation of avid gamers. The Bond University’s regular Digital Australia report has uncovered that 17 million Australians play video games in some form. To compare, that’s over 66% of the entire country’s population and indicates that two out of three Australians are fond of gaming!
The recent report created by IGEA has shown that an impressive 91% of all Australian households own some sort of video gaming device. What is more: Australians spend more money every year on purchasing video games and consoles, mobile games, and even physical games from storefronts.
What Video Game Categories Are Currently Trending in Australia?
Before getting to the reasons for the popularity of video gaming in Australia, let’s first learn more about the most popular gameplay options for Aussies. Commonly, these include the world’s trending games like Cyberpunk 2077, Baldur’s Gate III, Minecraft. Among the popular locally-made video games are Florence, Fruit Ninja, L.A. Noire and The Hobbit. The most passionate players also often choose casino games UK as they seek interactive gaming experience.
These options are widely popular because of their interactivity and accessibility, so you’d hardly find a single person in Australia who hasn’t given it a try so far!
Major Factors of Video Gaming Popularity Among Australians
According to a comprehensive survey by Statista, there are 15 different reasons why Australians are playing on a common basis. Below we’ll review the most interesting and popular factors that make video gaming popular across different age groups.
- To Have Fun. The first and most typical reason that doesn’t require too much explanation – video games are a perfect option to have some fun regardless of age, current location, time, or personal preferences. No matter what interests or game categories you like, you’ll surely find the most interactive and appealing game for yourself.
- To Keep Mind Active. The second popular opinion that is exceptionally shared by the Australian respondents of the age group 65+ is that video gaming helps to train the brain, increase attentiveness and boost creativity. Knowing that people of all ages try to find the best gaming options that fit best their interests and needs.
- To Relax & Reduce Stress. Being engaging and enjoyable, video games can significantly decrease the stress level. Mainly, that’s achieved with the dopamine secretion a person gets while achieving a goal, completing a challenge, or gaining the reward for a certain activity in video games.
- To Escape Boredom & Have Fun. Similar to the previous characteristics described, video gaming allows people to entertain themselves easily and get some relief from their hectic schedules.
- To Be Challenged. Challenges, even those introduced in a digital world, always bring pleasure and satisfaction. Australians claim those as an excellent chance to stretch the boundaries and feel the worth of your efforts and input.
- To Feel Accomplishment & Excitement. Regardless of age and personality, every person is continually in search of new, positive emotions to bring into their lives. The accomplishment of different goals helps you to add confidence and get yourself motivated and encouraged to move on. Video games, as we know, feature a wide range of different competitions where you can try your own hand and inspire yourself to move forward.
- To Improve Mental Health. The post-covid reality has driven more and more people to experience mental issues due to the severe restrictions. People were made to reconsider their daily routines and nearly every person across the globe has experienced huge pressure, increased anxiety, and loneliness.
These and many other factors have significantly affected well-being, so many Aussies consider video gaming as an excellent way to improve mental health.