The Castle has to be the most quotable Aussie film of all time.
With the Bogan Bingo boys hosting another multi-award worthy The Castle Quote Along screening of the classic flick in London for this Australia Day, we asked them for their all-time tops The Castle quotes from our favourite family of Aussie battlers.
Bogan Bingo master of balls, Trev, told Australian Times: “Of course there’s ‘Tell him he’s dreaming’ and ‘That is going straight to the pool room’, but it’s some of the other pearlers that the true Kerrigan aficionado ranks highly.”
Bogan Bingo’s nominations for best quotes from The Castle are:
- Dale Kerrigan: “Steve is also an ideas man, that’s why Dad calls him the ideas man. He has lots of ideas.”
- Darryl Kerrigan: “Suffer in ya jocks!”
- Dale Kerrigan: “Dad reckons fishing was 10% brains and 95% muscle, and the rest was just good luck.”
- Dale Kerrigan: (voiceover) “Dad just loved Bonnie Doon and he reckoned the faster you went, the more you saw of it.”
Darryl Kerrigan: “Look at that!”Dale Kerrigan: “What?”
Darryl Kerrigan: “Back there.”
- Tracey Kerrigan: “Jenny makes fake flowers.”Sal Kerrigan: “Jenny?”
Tracey Kerrigan: “Yeah.”
Sal Kerrigan: “Jenny Jenny?”
Tracey Kerrigan: “No, Microwave Jenny.”
- Dale Kerrigan: “Mum said it was funny how one day you’re not famous, and the next day you are. Famous. And then you’re not again.”
- Darryl Kerrigan: [pointing at the verandah] “See that lattice up there?”
Property Valuer: “Yeah?”
Darryl Kerrigan: “Fake. Plastic. Gives the place a Victoriana feel. Chimney? Fake too.”
Property Valuer: Why’s it there?
Darryl Kerrigan: “Charm. Adds a bit of charm.”
- Dale Kerrigan: “Excuse the French, Yvonne.”
Yvonne the neighbour: “Get your hand of it, Darryl.”
- Darryl Kerrigan: “Oh Steve, could you move the Camira? I need to get the Torana out so I can get to the Commodore.”
Steve Kerrigan: “I’ll have to get the keys to the Cortina if I’m gonna move that Camira.”
Darryl Kerrigan: “Yeah. Watch the boat, mate.”
- Dale Kerrigan: [voiceover] “He loved the serenity of the place.”
Darryl Kerrigan: “How’s the serenity?”
Dale Kerrigan: [voiceover] “I think he also just loved the word.”
Darryl Kerrigan: “So much serenity.”
GET MORE: 10 more top quotes from The Castle
And little bit of The Castle trivia
– The Castle was Eric Bana’s film debut
– It was filmed in just 11 days
– The film took five weeks to create, from the first idea to the first rough cut.
– The family were given the name Kerrigan because the filmmakers wanted to use trucks from Kerrigan’s Towing, a real life tow-truck company in Melbourne.
– Australians named The Castle as the movie that most accurately represents Australia, in a survey by the Australia Day Council of NSW in 2010.
– If the movie is screened on TV before 8.30pm in Australia, the swear words are censored using plane noises.
The Castle Quote Along is screening at The Clapham Grand in London on Sunday, 25 January 2015. See the Bogan Bingo website for full details and tickets.