Sadly, there are no Australian players left in the men’s or women’s singles at this year’s Wimbledon.
Bernard Tomic gave a now infamous disgraceful interview after his equally disgraceful first-round defeat to Russian born German based Mischa Zverev.
World number 59 Tomic earned £35,000 (AUD $59,000) for his one hour and 19 minutes on court. He also admitted he called for the trainer during the match, even though he was not injured, to try to disrupt his opponent’s momentum.
“I think I don’t respect the sport enough,” he said in a post-match interview. “You know, I’m going to play another 10 years, and I know after my career I won’t have to work again.”
Berni said he felt “bored” during his straight-set first-round defeat by Mischa Zverev last week, resulting in a fine of some £11,000 (AUD $19,000).
Australian tennis icon John Newcombe fears Tomic will end up broke if he doesn’t seek help, after the Queenslander also said his on-court malaise was a “mental” issue.
Only Italian hot-head Fabio Fognini, who was hit with a £15,000 (AUD $26,000) fine for a wild tantrum in 2014, has ever copped a more severe financial punishment at tennis’s showpiece event.
Tonic’s fine represents around a third of the prize money he received for his lame 79-minute cameo at this year’s Wimbledon championships. But he stands to lose significantly more after his racquet sponsor Head on Thursday controversially dumped the 24-year-old, despite sticking with Maria Sharapova through her recent doping ban.
“We were extremely disappointed with the statements made at Wimbledon by one of our sponsored athletes, Bernard Tomic,” the manufacturer said in a statement.
“His opinions no way reflects our own attitude for tennis, our passion, professionalism and respect for the game.
“Therefore, we have decided to discontinue our collaboration with Bernard Tomic.”
As well as Tomic’s early departure, Nick Kyrgios went in the first-round while Ashleigh Barty – who unluckily drew number 4 seed Elina Svitolina in the first round – also departed.
Daria Gavrilova was another first round loser although she pushed her opponent Petra Martić to 8-10 in the final set and made an effort unlike couldn’t care less Bernie.
A glimmer of green and gold hope
So, what does that leave for Oz tennis at what’s left of Wimbledon? All is not lost, as there is a real chance of success in the doubles.
Number one seeds in the men’s doubles are John Peers and Finnish partner Henri Kontinen who together won the Australian Doubles title in Melbourne this January.
Ashleigh Barty and Casey Dellacqua are seeded number 8 in the women’s and have appeared in four previous grand slam finals, though are yet to win one – could this be their first?
Six foot four inch Sam Groth teams up with Sweden’s Robert Lindstedt in the doubles; they had an upset win over third seeds Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares, 4-6, 6-3, 4-6, 7-5, 7-5.
In the mixed doubles, John Peers partners German Sabine Lisicki who was the women’s singles runner up in 2013.
Also in the mixed doubles Australian Anastasia Rodionova teams up with Russian Mikhail Elgin.
So there is still some Aussie ‘C’mon!’ in the competition yet.