Moreover, the potential engagement you can reach is not limited to the average, and you are sure to collect much more comments, likes, shares, and mentions if following our freshest tips.
Ride the Carousel Wave
Come to think of it, carousel posts have every reason to please the IG algorithm if only because it takes more time for users to watch them. So, the more time a user spends on your page, the higher your content ranks within the feed. And if a follower happens to shrug your carousel post off, the algorithm will display it again (usually, with the second slide) to give the user another chance to opt in. Furthermore, carousels turn out to be the most engaging type of posts on the social network, boasting a 1.92% rate in contrast to 1.74% of images and 1.45% of video posts.
Luckily, now we have plenty of free templates, editing tools such as poster maker, resizing apps, collage creators, and what-not to craft must-see content for carousels with no sweat. However, here are a couple of hints on how to squeeze as much as possible out of the trend:
- Alternate carousels with regular posts to avoid overwhelming your audience.
- The engagement increases up to 2.33% for posts that combine images and videos.
- You will spark more interest when adding more slides, up to 10.
- Captions that encourage users to swipe further do make them…swipe.
- Insert a CTA or interactive elements into the last slide to boost engagement.
Tell Your Stories
The number of Instagram Stories adherents grew fivefold in 3 years and exceeded half a billion users viewing this type of content daily. Published outside the main feed and limited to 24 hours of availability, these short content pieces are doomed to create a sense of exclusivity and, thus, attract more attention. They work like a quest for followers who definitely don’t mind racing against the clock to stay on top of things. Besides, stories follow the hot trend of authenticity since users are a bit tired of too-perfect pictures and, now they are craving for honesty and relatability.
Well, the question is how to make your stories trigger more interaction. And the simple answer is using stickers. Encourage your followers to ask questions, create quizzes and polls, launch countdowns to generate more excitement, collect feedback with the DM Me feature, and expand your community with mentions – stickers work great towards many goals. And you will get better results if following the tips below:
- Connect posts in the main feed with stories to get your followers informed through the former and keep them more interested through the latter.
- Try to post stories daily but no more than five times a day to avoid stuffing your followers with information.
- Avail of audio as an additional part of the narrative since 70% of IG stories are watched with sound.
Make Longer Captions
Although images have always been at the core of Instagram, the strong competition makes us get more creative with other aspects. The more so since longer captions chime with IG users’ demand for open discussion and greater interactivity. Not only do they keep your followers staying on the page (which brings higher ranks to your posts) but also suggest dialog with the audience resulting in more comments, shares, and likes. Lengthy captions allow sharing your own experience and telling a story behind pictures and videos, making the post truly unique.
Let’s see how it works in the real world:
- The length of 300+ characters seems to become a new normal for the IG audience.
- Start with an attention-grabbing first line and move to a strong CTA.
- Don’t hesitate to use captions for forwarding your followers to your website or other channels (namely, via a link in your bio).
- Add line breaks, play with emojis, and gain the advantage of different fonts to structurize your longer text for better perception.
- Back captions up with audience-specific hashtags.
We have selected the above approaches because their effectiveness is proved by statistics and they can be easily implemented with no expenditures involved – just use your own creativity, built-in IG features, and one or two free third-party tools. Sure, you will need to invest some time and effort, but in the end, your improved content will result in a more loyal audience and better visibility in the IG feed.