Top 10 mountain bike trails in Australia
With more than 7 million square metres to explore, Australia is able to offer some pretty spectacular mountain bike trails.
Here we’ve compiled the best of the best, to help you make the most of your adventure down under.
1. Stromlo Forest Park, ACT – Just 10 minutes from Australia’s capital, Canberra, you’ll find one beast of a mountain bike trail. More than 40 kilometres of trails awaits you, suitable for everyone from novices through to experts, and including a 2.5 kilometre grass cross country track and 1.2 kilometre road criterium cycling circuit.
2. Bruce Ridge, ACT – Not for the fainthearted, Bruce Ridge is an extreme trail for the daredevil mountain bikers. There is a fair share of climbs, descents, and corners to keep the adrenalin pumping.
3. Sparrow Hill, ACT – Don’t be misled by the feeble sounding name – Sparrow Hill is a force to be reckoned with. Some riders will be happy to hear that the track avoids steep climbs, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t still plenty to play with.
4. Wombat Track, Victoria – Less than an hour north west of Melbourne you’ll find Woodend, a haven for mountain biking enthusiasts. Nestled amongst this more than 100 kilometres of trails is the famous Wombat Track.
5. Lysterfield Mountain Bike Area, Victoria – This network of trails is one of the most popular in Victoria, offering a premier spot for avid cyclists.
6. Geurie Goat Track, NSW – Primarily a single track circuit, the Geurie Goat Track in Dubbo promotes fast flowing and smooth riding. Whizz through trees, down slopes, and back up again through fun and fast climbs. This definitely isn’t one of the more difficult mountain bike trails of Australia, but it could be one of the most enjoyable!
7. Ourimbah State Forest, NSW – The Central Coast’s Ourimbah State Forest is versatility at its finest, combining famous downhill tracks with swooping valleys and a kingpin of firetrails.
8. Kalamunda Mountain Bike Trail, Western Australia – Nestled in the Perth Hills, a paradise of 22 kilometres of singletrack cross country trails designed for intermediate to advanced riders awaits. The trail was officially opened in 2012, and since then has been beautifully maintained to offer one world-class track.
9. Tewantin State Forest, Queensland – Just north of the Sunshine Coast, you’ll find this equally serene and thrilling mountain bike trail. There’s plenty of nature around to enjoy, but don’t get caught up in that too much – you’ll need your concentration to get you through the challenging climbs and multitrack downhills too.
10. Nirvana, Queensland – Beginners beware – Nirvana is not child’s play. Set within a thick rainforest, many obstacles and features make for one exciting day on the track.
Before you hit any of these amazing tracks, make sure you’re well equipped with the help of Australia’s number one online bike store, Cycling Deal. They’ve got everything from premium quality mountain bikes to all the essential cycling apparel you could possibly need