CA officials visited Sri Lanka last week, as part of standard pre-tour reconnaissance, and were satisfied with security assurances they received for Australia’s August-September tour.
But on Sunday, Sri Lankan sports minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage ordered a massive spending cut, including shearing the tour’s 50-million rupee ($A445,000) security bill to just nine million rupees ($A81,000).
He was confident the nation’s military and police could provide “very good security, at a fraction of the cost”.
A CA spokesman said Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) had assured them during last week’s visit that security would be similar to that provided at the recent ICC World Cup.
And despite the budget cut, SLC secretary Nishantha Ranatunga repeated that assurance to CA’s cricket operations manager Michael Brown at an International Cricket Council (ICC) meeting currently taking place in Hong Kong.
“He’s given his assurance that the detail we negotiated on safety and security stands and there will be no change to that,” the CA spokesman said.
Asked what CA’s response would be if those commitments did change, he said that was hypothetical, but pointed out Australia had pulled out of tours over security concerns in the past.
“Our actions have spoken louder than our words on this issue,” the spokesperson said.
Australian Cricketers’ Association chief executive Paul Marsh backed CA’s stance.
“Player safety and security is paramount to us and we expect these (promised) measures will be in place for the tour,” Marsh said.
Australia are due to play three Tests, five one-day matches and two Twenty20 games during their August 6 to September 20 tour.