I was given brush off by a ‘true blue’ Aussie cover band last Australia Day when I dared request a Kylie song. So I decided to make my own playlist and party for my gay Aussie friends who may also feel a certain sense of alienation on our national day when it comes to the music.
I’ve called it Australia Gay. The playlist consists of all the amazing pop songs ever to have originated from the land down under. No Barnesy, no Farnesy.
To be fair this top 10 could consist of all Kylie songs but in the interest of equality it’s one song per artist.
Australia Gay Top 10 Countdown
- Poison, Bardot – we were hooked as a group of middle aged men manufactured a girl group before our very eyes. There was Blondie, Dancey, Gingery, Waitressey and The Other One.
- Kiss Kiss, Holly Valance – I wonder what Flick from Neighbours is doing now?
- Read My Lips, Melissa Tkautz – it sucks when the back-up dancer has a bigger career than you now.
- Truly Madly Deeply, Savage Garden – did anyone really think he was singing this about a woman?
- The Special Two, Missy Higgins – for the lesbians.
- All I Wanna Do, Dannii Minogue – remember when it was all about Dannii on Young Talent Time? Yeah, so does she.
- Torn, Natalie Imbruglia – we ALL loved the guy from this video. And he’s gay in real life. Yay!
- I Need Your Body, Tina Arena – somewhere between Young Talent Time and Chains, little Tina became a woman.
- Xanadu, Olivia Newton John – the best thing about this ridiculous movie.
- Can’t Get You Outta My Head, Kylie Minogue – after I went on and on about it, I had to put it at number 1!
Laurence Driscoll lives in London and writes a blog called projectnewboyfriend.com. Follow him on Twitter @ProjectNewBF.