Violence as Kelly-accused Kieran Loveridge fronts Sydney court
A teenager has smashed a television cameraman to the ground outside a Sydney court where a man appeared over the king-hit killing of Thomas Kelly. Kieran Loveridge, 18, appeared in Burwood Local Court on Thursday charged with murder and three counts of assault.
A teenager has smashed a television cameraman to the ground outside a Sydney court where a man appeared over the king-hit killing of Thomas Kelly.
Kieran Loveridge, 18, appeared in Burwood Local Court on Thursday charged with murder and three counts of assault relating to the death of Mr Kelly and other alleged incidents in Kings Cross.
Loveridge intends to apply for bail next week.
Violent scenes broke out among his supporters outside the court, with a 17-year-old boy charging at Nine Network cameraman Mario Conti, knocking him over and causing his head to slam on the path.
Police arrested the teenager two blocks away and charged him with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Mr Conti was taken by ambulance to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where he treated and allowed to leave several hours later on Thursday evening.
Police allege Loveridge went on a bashing spree that began on 7 July on the notorious Kings Cross party strip in inner Sydney.
He assaulted a 17-year-old boy five minutes before punching Mr Kelly in the face, it’s alleged.
Mr Kelly, an 18-year-old accounting cadet, was walking in Victoria Road with his girlfriend and talking on his mobile phone when he was hit and fell, striking his head on the footpath.
It’s alleged Loveridge assaulted Matthew Serrao about 45 minutes later, then assaulted Rhyse Saliba just after 11pm.
Mr Kelly died two days later when his parents decided to turn off his life support.
Police arrested Loveridge on Wednesday about 7.30pm (AEST) at a sports field in Belmore, in Sydney’s southwest.
He had been under surveillance for two days and was staying at his girlfriend’s home in Seven Hills.
Loveridge was visibly upset during his brief court appearance and made eye contact with family and friends in the gallery.
He did not apply for bail, which was formally refused, but his solicitor said he intended to make a bail application next Wednesday in the same court.
None of his family or friends would speak to the media outside court, including one young woman who cried as she avoided a barrage of questions.
Police have not ruled out further arrests over the Kings Cross incidents.
“It is likely that should there be sufficient evidence, we’ll put people before the court,” State Crime Commander Mal Lanyon told reporters on Thursday.
Detectives had reviewed a great deal of CCTV footage which had helped in their arrest, he said.
Mr Lanyon would not say if the accused had been under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or if he had been refused entry into a Kings Cross nightclub.
The Kelly family will attend a memorial service for Thomas on Friday at The King’s School in Parramatta.
“I’m sure that they were relieved when they heard the news,” Acting Commissioner Catherine Burn told reporters.
Mr Kelly’s death has sparked renewed calls for compulsory 3am closing times and 1.30am lockouts to help curb the violence in the notorious nightclub district.
In a community forum in Sydney on Tuesday night, Hospitality Minster George Souris announced that every bar and club in Kings Cross would be audited in an effort to stamp out antisocial behaviour.
The 17-year-old arrested over the assault of Mr Conti was refused police bail on Thursday and will appear in Parramatta Children’s Court on Friday.