More Commonwealth graves desecrated in Libya
Libyan authorities say a headstone has been damaged and temporary markers removed from some graves at the Commonwealth War Cemetery in Benghazi, where Australia soldiers are buried.
THERE has been another war graves attack at a cemetery in Libya which contains the remains of Australian soldiers.
Authorities say a headstone has been damaged and temporary markers removed from some graves at the Commonwealth War Cemetery in Benghazi.
“The nationality of the individual buried beneath the headstone that was damaged is not yet known,” the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) said in a statement on Friday.
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission is working to identify the individual and to restore any damage. It will also replace the removed grave markers as soon as possible.
The department said it was in the process of determining if Australian war graves were affected.
If any were, they would be “respectfully restored and maintained”.
IMAGE: YouTube screenshot of attacks on Commonwealth war graves in Bengazi, Libya earlier this year.
At the time, Prime Minister Julia Gillard said she was disgusted by the attack and wanted the perpetrators punished.
More than 1200 Commonwealth troops who died in the north African desert battles of World War II are buried in the cemetery, in Libya’s east.
There are 55 Australian graves among them, 48 of which are identified and seven unidentified.