Monday night’s Four Courners program on the ABC aired security camera footage, some of which is dated as far back as 2010, showing guards at a NT youth prison beating, stripping, throwing and humiliating an adolescent over several years.
Full video here on ABC. Below is a clip of one of the incidents:
According to the report, the youth being mistreated is Dylan Voller who was also one of six children tear gassed at the Don Dale Youth Detention Centre near Darwin in 2014.
Further footage apparently shows Dylan Voller again, this time strapped into a chair by his arms and legs and with a hood over his head, eerily remeiscent of the infamous torture photos from Abu Graib prison in Iraq.
Dylan Voller, now 18-years-old, is suing the NT government for mistreatment and damages over his time in juvenile detention, along with five other former inmates.
On Tuesday, it was announced that John Elferink had been sacked as the NT’s Corrections Minister over the affair.
Also on Tuesday, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull announced that a royal commission would be set up to investigate.
“Like all Australians, I have been deeply shocked, shocked and appalled by the images of mistreatment at the Don Dale Centre, ” he said.
“This centre has been a controversial one in the past, and there have been as we know, inquiries into it in the Northern Territory,” he said.
“And yet this evidence was not revealed in those inquiries.”
According to this Aussie YouTuber and reluctant Pokemon Goer: “It’s the same as the U.S., really… Other than having to avoid the kangaroos and spiders, I guess.”
Follow tragic hipster HeyoDamo on his thrills, frustrations and app-freeze filled adventure through his local Pokemon Go Australian suburban nothingness.
Get real, people. And get in his ball!
Australia’s Olympic Chef de Mission in Rio has slammed the host city’s accomodation, saying the rooms and areas were dirty and dangerous.
Kitty Chiller, head of Australia’s Olympic delegation to Rio, said in a statement on Sunday that Aussie athletes would not move in to the Olympic Villiage until the problems had been rectified satisfactorally.
“Due to a variety of problems in the Village, including gas, electricity and plumbing, I have decided that no Australian team member will move into our allocated building,” the statement read.
“I will reassess the situation this evening.
“For over a week now AOC staff have been working long hours to get our section of the Village ready for our athletes.
“Problems include blocked toilets, leaking pipes, exposed wiring, darkened stairwells where no lighting has been installed and dirty floors in need of a massive clean.
“In operations areas water has come through the ceiling resulting in large puddles on the floor around cabling and wiring.
“We have raised our concerns on a daily basis with the Organising Committee and the IOC, especially at the daily Chef’s meeting.”
Chiller also said that other teams were also disatisfied with their lodgings.
“We are not alone, our friends from Team GB, New Zealand and others are experiencing the same problems in their accommodation,” she said.
Australian officials were reportedly readying in nearby hotels for athletes who were due to begin arriving today (Monday).
IMAGE: The Chef de Mission for Australia at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, Kitty Chiller, speaks to the press after deciding not to move into the Olympic Village on its opening day in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on July 24, 2016. The Olympic Village in Rio officially opened its doors to the world’s athletes on Sunday, less than two weeks before the Games begin — but Australia, Britain and Brazil spurned the facility, which was dubbed ‘not safe or ready.’ (YASUYOSHI CHIBA/AFP/Getty Images)
There’s the guy who says about modern Australian men “now they’re all acting like a bunch of homoexuals down there.”
There’s the guy who brought his deer rifle.
“I wanna see y’all salute our flag,” demands a mega-phone weilding woman.
“Hail Trump,” salutes another man… he’s probably not a Trump voter, though.
The fight allegedly erupted between a group of Australian men about five hours into flight JQ27 from Sydney to Phuket. The pilot landed the plane in Bali in order to offload the brawlers, say Jetsar.
According to 9News.com.au, passengers described there being “blood everywhere”.
Sydney woman Romy Papas described how one of the men was repeatedly punched in the face and had blood all over his chest, to the shock of fellow passengers.
“He was wiping it on the seats and there was bloody napkins everywhere,” she said.
Six men were removed from the plane at Bali’s Denpasar airport in relation to the incident.
According to airport general manager, Trikora Harjo, three of the six men appeared to be drunk. All would be returned to Australia on Friday without charge.
“As the flight landed we brought them to the arrival hall of the international airport with Immiration, police and security of Ngurah Rai (airport). They are now being interrogated,” Mr Harjo said on Thursday, according to News.com.au.
“The airline will send their security to Bali to escort them back to Australia today and they will be taken back to Australia tomorrow on Friday with (a) Jetstar flight,” he said.
The other passengers were glad to seethe removal of the group and thanked the crew, said a Jetsar spokeswoman.
“A group of six passengers travelling together were being extremely disruptive amongst themselves and refused requests from our crew,” she said.
“The captain decided to divert the flight to Bali where Indonesian police took the disruptive passengers off the aircraft.
“We take safety and security seriously and we don’t tolerate disruptive behaviour by passengers on our flights.”
Take this snappy history lesson from Kiwi YouTuber Soliloquy to understand why New Zealand is still mentioned as a state in the Australian Constitution and why different takes on the treatment of the indigenous peoples in the 19th century and fear of civil war led to the establishment of two seperate nations.
No, me neither.
I am that person on the platform making sure I am getting on that carriage, even if it means I am squashed up against a fat belly and underneath a smelly armpit. I didn’t get out of bed to miss my train or have a sliding doors moment.
If I did, I would like my sliding doors moment to take me on a real adventure down the Central Line: no delays, my own seat, no sweaty people, and free ice cream. Definitely free ice cream!
Maybe I would even meet the love of my life on the Northern Line the other way, or be forced to be unfaithful and have to get the bus or a taxi instead, and then miss out on meeting Prince Charming.
I can only hope I am where I’m meant to be at the right time, so that my sliding doors moment is a big thumbs up. I will miss my Tube and get stuck talking to a Hollywood movie director who insists I am the star he has been looking for all his life, or the CEO of the BBC who begs me to read the national news.
Either way, I won’t mess with fate. I’ll continue to set my morning alarm, allow myself 12-minutes to get to the Tube station to push past the dawdlers onto the platform. I will be standing behind that yellow line, minding that gap and hoping that one day I have my very own perfect Paltrow fantasy.]]>
A strong 34 point win over the North London Lions at Dukes Meadow wasn’t enough to keep them in the top position after the Demons put the Putney Magpies to rest by a staggering 213 points causing their percentage to soar.
With the last round coinciding with the Wildcats Ladies Day, the Pimms were flowing and the sun was shining as two matches took place on the Meadow. The Shepherds Bush Raiders schooled the Lions 151-2 despite a Johnny Farnham-esque return by Lions president Jay Treloar in the Conference division before the Premiers match at 3pm.
Also see: AFL LONDON: Historic day for Hawks, women take minor premiership
The Wildcats stamped their authority on the contest with the opening five goals but were engaged in an arm wrestle over the next 75 minutes before running out comfortable winners 15.12 (102) to 10.8 (68).
Wildcat Jack Wood was ruthless on the turnovers and slotted a casual three goals for the game off his hard work and determination as he read the ball well and capitalized on the Lions’ mistakes. Evan Duryea did what he does best and kicked a third of the wildcat’s goals.
The second quarter saw the Lions come out firing. A few big hits, a broken nose and the sickening sounds of bodies clashing had the Lions come within two goals of the Cats by the big break. With the Lions kicking four goals to the Wildcats’ two, Nik Schoenmakers made his mark by kicking three of his four, drawing with Michael Hammond for leading Lions goal scorer, whilst Tim Fisher more than held his own around the clearances.
After loosening the reins in the second quarter, the Wildcats took back control and ran out the second half of the match. Gaining back momentum, Keith Della-Vedova and Andy Challis worked tirelessly in the midfield both converting and assisting the Cats’ comfortable lead.
The Lions showed that they were not ready to give up the fight. They take on the Wimbledon Hawks this coming Sunday in the hope of getting them one step closer to the Grand Final.
The ever-strong Wildcats will take on old-time rivals the Demons in a top of the table clash to progress straight through to the big dance or have a second chance come July 30.
WEST LONDON WILDCATS: 5.5 – 7.5 – 11.8 – 15.12 (102)
NORTH LONDON LIONS: 1.1 – 5.5 – 7.7 – 10.8 (68)
WEST LONDON WILDCATS: Duryea 5, Della-Vedova 2, Horan 2, Wood 2, Challis, Gregson, Pfeiffer , Risol
NORTH LONDON LIONS: Hammond 4, Schoenmakers 4, Fisher, McKenzie
The Battle of Fromelles, which occured near the tiny French village over 19-20 July 1916 on the Western Front, witnessed over 5,000 Australian casualties including 1,917 dead, after they encountered heavy resistance and were mowed down by machine gun fire as they assaulted the German positions. It was all over within 24 hours and amounted to zero tactical gain for the Australians.
To put the tragedy into perspective, almost as many as a quarter of the Australian lives lost in the eight months of the Galipolli campaign were lost in less than 24hrs on the farmlands around Fromelles during the doomed assault.
In a moving ceremony of rememberence attended by decendents of the fallen, dignitaries from Australia and France and local residents (some of whom fly Australian flags from their yards and shops all year round as a mark of respect for the lives lost in the name of their village) Australia’s Veterans’ Affairs Minister Dan Tehan read the words of WW1 Australian correspondent Charles Bean.
“Fromelles became the place where we first realised the full horror of industrialised warfare,” Tehan recited.
A mass grave of 250 soldiers, mostly Australian, was discovered in 2008 at Pheasent Wood, just outside the village, where there is now a cemetary and where this week’s the ceremony took place. The work to name all the soldiers whose bodies were discovered still goes on, using DNA. During the ceremony, six new headstones were unveiled for men who have recently been identified.
“The work to do so is one we as a country owe these men, their families and their descendants. It is our duty to honour their duty,” Tehan said.
IMAGE: An Australian soldier unveils a headstone at the Fromelles WWI Australian Cemetary on July 19, 2016 in Fromelles, during the commemoration of the 100 year anniversary of WWI Battle of Fromelles. WWI’s 1916 Battle of Fromelle, a subsidiary to the Battle of the Somme, saw the loss of over 5000 Australian soldiers, commemorates its 100 year anniversary on July 19-20. (DENIS CHARLET/AFP/Getty Images)]]>
The Kenyan-born middle distance specialist overcame rivals young enough to be his sons to qualify for his fifth Olympics in Rio at the USA 5000 metres trials. Lagat has a silver medal from Athens 2004 and a bronze from Sydney a whopping 16 years ago at 1500m. He will become the oldest runner to represent the States at the Games.
Swedish sharp shooter Swahn became the oldest Olympic gold medallist at the 1912 Games in Stockholm. Eight years later, at the tender age of 72, he added a silver medal in the double shot running deer contest to become the oldest medallist of all time. So late in the day did Oscar begin his Olympic journey – aged 60 – his son Alfred competed alongside him at all three events.
Born in 1840, Pollock was one of only six women in the field of 651 athletes at the St Louis Olympics in 1904. The veteran archer shot her way to gold in the team event, adding two bronzes of her own to go on the mantelpiece back home in Ohio.
The Japanese dressage rider made his Olympic debut way back in 1964 on home soil in Tokyo. He won’t compete this year – but only because his horse is unwell. His late withdrawal from the Rio Games means the 75-year-old won’t become the oldest Olympian. Well, not yet… he hasn’t ruled out a fairytale comeback at 79, when the Olympics returns to Tokyo in 2020.
Several botched retirement attempts have left the 41-year-old gymnast from Uzbekistan facing up to a seventh Olympics in a sport where the average age is just 16. She competed for the Soviet Union before its demise, as well as Germany and the Unified Team back in 1992, when she won gold in Barcelona.
This wrestler certainly was Ancient Greek by the time he won his sixth and final Olympic title in 520 BC, two decades after his first. Myth and legend swirled around this supposed mate of Pythagoras. Just like our sporting heroes of today, then.
This feature also appears here]]>