Brisbane City seal deal over Canberra Vikings

Brisbane City seal deal over Canberra Vikings

McInnes Wilson Lawyers Brisbane City have defeated the Canberra Vikings 42-40 in their Round 3 National Rugby Championship clash at the University of Queensland on Sunday.

UQ played NRC host for the first time as Brisbane City and the Canberra Vikings crossed for six tries apiece.

The home side led 28-20 at half time but in the end it was Quade Cooper’s perfect six-from-six performance with the boot that saw City hold to a two-point win.

Brisbane City head coach Mick Heenan said: “We were up against a really good side who were previously undefeated and we showed glimpses of our potential today.

“After a disappointing performance last week I’m pleased with how we responded today. It showed we have a bit of character in our side.

“I was happy with how some of the club blokes went. Tonga Ma’afu, Michael Richards and Dylan Riley were all in the starting 15 for the first time and they were excellent,” Heenan said.

The Canberra Vikings opened the scoring five minutes into the match when winger Ben Johnson dived over in the corner, 7-0.

Brisbane City levelled the scores at the 15-minute mark when Lukhan Tui barrelled his way over from close range.

Four minutes later the home side hit the lead when AJ Alatimu went through untouched to score next to the uprights, 14-7.

Norths prop Ma’afu made his run-on debut at loosehead and found the try line in the 23rd minute to extend City’s lead.

The Vikings re-levelled the scores with 10 minutes remaining in the first half when Tom Banks dotted down for the Viking’s third, 21-21.

Brisbane City Number 8 Michael Richards crossed for a try on the stroke of half time to give City a 28-21 lead at the break.

Banks crossed for his second try four minutes into the second stanza to lock the scores up at 28-all.

But the scoreline was short lived as Ed Fidow raced 80m down the touchline and popped the ball back inside for Alatimu to pinch his double and a seven-point lead for City.

The Vikings reduced City’s lead to two points when scrumhalf Joe Powell dotted down.

City extended their lead with 17 minutes remaining through a rolling maul try to captain Andrew Ready.

City spent the final 10 minutes defending their own try line before Dargaville finally broke through to cut City’s lead to two points, 42-40.

Canberra conceded a penalty off the restart which allowed Cooper boot the ball into touch as the referee blew for full time.

Brisbane City have the bye next week before heading to Perth to play the Spirit on October 1, when some fun and games will also be on the go at Brisbane City’s next home match is at Wests’ Sci-Fleet Stadium on Sunday October 15.

Image credit QRU/Meggie Whitchurch

Australian Times

Australian Times

For, by and about Aussies in the UK.