15 photos that prove Lapland is the most magical place to be at Christmas
Add this to your bucket list folks. Lapland at ‘the most wonderful time of the year!’
Lapland is the ultimate real-life Christmas winter wonderland. It’s a place where 24-hour daylight in the summer is replaced by forever dark winter days. It’s also where Santa is reported to live, of course.
Take a look at these incredible frosty images from the land to the far north…
1. Where even the sun is frozen
2. Lapland is Finland’s northernmost region and it is one of the best places on Earth to spot the Northern Lights – they appear on more than 200 nights a year.
3. It’s truly a magical scene.
4. Lapland is almost above the ordinary – spiritually, geographically and in everything it does.
5. The scenery is text book.
6. It’s also said that Lapland is home to Santa Clause and his reindeer. Thomson means “it’s the stuff of fairytales. Cue snow-dusted forests that stretch for miles, cosy log cabins that look like they’ve been plucked from a storybook, and a population that’s made up of more reindeer than people.”
7. It’s the perfect place to celebrate Christmas.
8. The exact location of Santa is not known, though, but it is best to head to his Rovaniemi office. This is where he greets visitors all year round! Rovaniemi is the capital of Finnish Lapland.
9. Santa and his elves are only a part of the adventure: Finland is also said to be a great place to test your skiing skills or to go snowmobiling.
10. There’s something lonely and intangible which makes it kind of magical.
11. Save some money and book a trip to this mystical place.